Associate Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy
Phone: (514) 398-7286
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5101
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Prof. Joly has acquired international recognition in health law, intellectual property and bioethics in the context of modern medicine. Since 2009, he has made a significant contribution to the research, development and successful implementation of controlled access mechanisms for two large academic consortia in the field of genomics: The International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC) (for which he is currently the Data Access Officer) and the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC). These mechanisms are now used by emerging organizations and consortia as models. He is also the author of over 120 peer-reviewed publications in top legal, ethical and scientific journals, as well as numerous book chapters and two books. For the past decade, he has served as a legal and ethical consultant to numerous national and international organizations, companies and para-governmental organizations. He was invited to provide his expert testimony on the topic of genetic discrimination before the Council of Europe (2007) and the Canadian Senate Standing Committee on Human Rights (2014). He was also a Member of the 2007-2009 panel of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences on the return on investments in health research. In 2012, he received the “Innovation Merit” award of the Quebec Bar (Lawyer Emeritus) for his contribution to the fields of privacy and biomedicine. In 2016, Prof. Joly was the recipient of the McGill University Department of Human Genetics’ Teaching Excellence Award and, in 2017, he became a fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (CAHS).
- Tiller, JM, Keogh, LA, McInerney-Leo, AM, Belcher, A, Barlow-Stewart, K, Boughtwood, T et al.. A step forward, but still inadequate: Australian health professionals' views on the genetics and life insurance moratorium. J Med Genet. 2021; :. doi: 10.1136/jmedgenet-2021-107989. PubMed PMID:34544841 .
- Joly, Y, Huerne, K, Arych, M, Bombard, Y, De Paor, A, Dove, ES et al.. The Genetic Discrimination Observatory: confronting novel issues in genetic discrimination. Trends Genet. 2021;37 (11):951-954. doi: 10.1016/j.tig.2021.08.004. PubMed PMID:34503867 .
- Alarie, S, Hagan, J, Dalpé, G, Faraji, S, Mbuya-Bienge, C, Nabi, H et al.. Risk-Stratified Approach to Breast Cancer Screening in Canada: Women's Knowledge of the Legislative Context and Concerns about Discrimination from Genetic and Other Predictive Health Data. J Pers Med. 2021;11 (8):. doi: 10.3390/jpm11080726. PubMed PMID:34442372 PubMed Central PMC8398750.
- Kim, H, Ho, CWL, Ho, CH, Athira, PS, Kato, K, De Castro, L et al.. Genetic discrimination: introducing the Asian perspective to the debate. NPJ Genom Med. 2021;6 (1):54. doi: 10.1038/s41525-021-00218-4. PubMed PMID:34210984 PubMed Central PMC8249378.
- Brooks, JD, Nabi, HH, Andrulis, IL, Antoniou, AC, Chiquette, J, Després, P et al.. Personalized Risk Assessment for Prevention and Early Detection of Breast Cancer: Integration and Implementation (PERSPECTIVE I&I). J Pers Med. 2021;11 (6):. doi: 10.3390/jpm11060511. PubMed PMID:34199804 PubMed Central PMC8226444.
- Cléophat, JE, Dorval, M, El Haffaf, Z, Chiquette, J, Collins, S, Malo, B et al.. Whether, when, how, and how much? General public's and cancer patients' views about the disclosure of genomic secondary findings. BMC Med Genomics. 2021;14 (1):167. doi: 10.1186/s12920-021-01016-8. PubMed PMID:34174888 PubMed Central PMC8236159.
- Lapointe, J, Dorval, M, Chiquette, J, Joly, Y, Guertin, JR, Laberge, M et al.. A Collaborative Model to Implement Flexible, Accessible and Efficient Oncogenetic Services for Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer: The C-MOnGene Study. Cancers (Basel). 2021;13 (11):. doi: 10.3390/cancers13112729. PubMed PMID:34072979 PubMed Central PMC8198545.
- Tremblay, K, Rousseau, S, Zawati, MH, Auld, D, Chassé, M, Coderre, D et al.. The Biobanque québécoise de la COVID-19 (BQC19)-A cohort to prospectively study the clinical and biological determinants of COVID-19 clinical trajectories. PLoS One. 2021;16 (5):e0245031. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0245031. PubMed PMID:34010280 PubMed Central PMC8133500.
- So, D, Crocker, K, Sladek, R, Joly, Y. Science fiction authors' perspectives on human genetic engineering. Med Humanit. 2021; :. doi: 10.1136/medhum-2020-012041. PubMed PMID:33893225 .
- Dalpé, G, Pinkesz, M, Oliviero, E, Tolymbek, M, Joly, Y. Genetic discrimination views in online discussion forums: Perspectives from Canadian forumites. J Genet Couns. 2021;30 (6):1613-1628. doi: 10.1002/jgc4.1427. PubMed PMID:33871129 .