Associate Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy
Phone: (514) 398-7286
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5101
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Prof. Joly has acquired international recognition in health law, intellectual property and bioethics in the context of modern medicine. Since 2009, he has made a significant contribution to the research, development and successful implementation of controlled access mechanisms for two large academic consortia in the field of genomics: The International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC) (for which he is currently the Data Access Officer) and the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC). These mechanisms are now used by emerging organizations and consortia as models. He is also the author of over 120 peer-reviewed publications in top legal, ethical and scientific journals, as well as numerous book chapters and two books. For the past decade, he has served as a legal and ethical consultant to numerous national and international organizations, companies and para-governmental organizations. He was invited to provide his expert testimony on the topic of genetic discrimination before the Council of Europe (2007) and the Canadian Senate Standing Committee on Human Rights (2014). He was also a Member of the 2007-2009 panel of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences on the return on investments in health research. In 2012, he received the “Innovation Merit” award of the Quebec Bar (Lawyer Emeritus) for his contribution to the fields of privacy and biomedicine. In 2016, Prof. Joly was the recipient of the McGill University Department of Human Genetics’ Teaching Excellence Award and, in 2017, he became a fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (CAHS).
- Joly, Y, Dalpé, G, Dupras, C, Bévière-Boyer, B, de Paor, A, Dove, ES et al.. Establishing the International Genetic Discrimination Observatory. Nat. Genet. 2020;52 (5):466-468. doi: 10.1038/s41588-020-0606-5. PubMed PMID:32203466 .
- Dupras, C, Hagan, J, Joly, Y. Overcoming Biases Together: Normative Stakes of Interdisciplinarity in Bioethics. AJOB Empir Bioeth. ;11 (1):20-23. doi: 10.1080/23294515.2019.1706209. PubMed PMID:32096730 .
- Phillips, M, Molnár-Gábor, F, Korbel, JO, Thorogood, A, Joly, Y, Chalmers, D et al.. Genomics: data sharing needs an international code of conduct. Nature. 2020;578 (7793):31-33. doi: 10.1038/d41586-020-00082-9. PubMed PMID:32025008 .
- ICGC/TCGA Pan-Cancer Analysis of Whole Genomes Consortium. Pan-cancer analysis of whole genomes. Nature. 2020;578 (7793):82-93. doi: 10.1038/s41586-020-1969-6. PubMed PMID:32025007 PubMed Central PMC7025898.
- Dupras, C, Beauchamp, E, Joly, Y. Selling direct-to-consumer epigenetic tests: are we ready?. Nat. Rev. Genet. 2020;21 (6):335-336. doi: 10.1038/s41576-020-0215-2. PubMed PMID:31992869 .
- Joly, Y, Dupras, C, Pinkesz, M, Tovino, SA, Rothstein, MA. Looking Beyond GINA: Policy Approaches to Address Genetic Discrimination. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2020; :. doi: 10.1146/annurev-genom-111119-011436. PubMed PMID:31961723 .
- Zawati, MH, Chalmers, D, Dallari, SG, de Neiva Borba, M, Pinkesz, M, Joly, Y et al.. Country Reports. J Law Med Ethics. 2019;47 (4):582-704. doi: 10.1177/1073110519897736. PubMed PMID:31957584 .
- Rothstein, MA, Zawati, MH, Beskow, LM, Brelsford, KM, Brothers, KB, Hammack-Aviran, CM et al.. Legal and Ethical Challenges of International Direct-to-Participant Genomic Research: Conclusions and Recommendations. J Law Med Ethics. 2019;47 (4):705-731. doi: 10.1177/1073110519898297. PubMed PMID:31957580 .
- Saulnier, KM, Bujold, D, Dyke, SOM, Dupras, C, Beck, S, Bourque, G et al.. Benefits and barriers in the design of harmonized access agreements for international data sharing. Sci Data. 2019;6 (1):297. doi: 10.1038/s41597-019-0310-4. PubMed PMID:31792275 PubMed Central PMC6889499.
- Forcier, MB, Gallois, H, Mullan, S, Joly, Y. Integrating artificial intelligence into health care through data access: can the GDPR act as a beacon for policymakers?. J Law Biosci. 2019;6 (1):317-335. doi: 10.1093/jlb/lsz013. PubMed PMID:31666972 PubMed Central PMC6813940.