Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy
Phone: (514) 398-7286
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5101
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Prof. Joly has acquired international recognition in health law, intellectual property and bioethics in the context of modern medicine. Since 2009, he has made a significant contribution to the research, development and successful implementation of controlled access mechanisms for two large academic consortia in the field of genomics: The International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC) (for which he is currently the Data Access Officer) and the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC). These mechanisms are now used by emerging organizations and consortia as models. He is also the author of over 120 peer-reviewed publications in top legal, ethical and scientific journals, as well as numerous book chapters and two books. For the past decade, he has served as a legal and ethical consultant to numerous national and international organizations, companies and para-governmental organizations. He was invited to provide his expert testimony on the topic of genetic discrimination before the Council of Europe (2007) and the Canadian Senate Standing Committee on Human Rights (2014). He was also a Member of the 2007-2009 panel of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences on the return on investments in health research. In 2012, he received the “Innovation Merit” award of the Quebec Bar (Lawyer Emeritus) for his contribution to the fields of privacy and biomedicine. In 2016, Prof. Joly was the recipient of the McGill University Department of Human Genetics’ Teaching Excellence Award and, in 2017, he became a fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (CAHS).
- Rothstein, MA, Patrinos, D, Brothers, KB, Clayton, EW, Joly, Y, Zawati, MH et al.. Concordance of International Regulation of Pediatric Health Research. J Pediatr. 2023; :113524. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2023.113524. PubMed PMID:37245625 .
- Yakneen, S, Waszak, SM, PCAWG Technical Working Group, Gertz, M, Korbel, JO, PCAWG Consortium et al.. Author Correction: Butler enables rapid cloud-based analysis of thousands of human genomes. Nat Biotechnol. 2023;41 (4):577. doi: 10.1038/s41587-022-01554-1. PubMed PMID:36944844 PubMed Central PMC10110458.
- Rodriguez-Martin, B, Alvarez, EG, Baez-Ortega, A, Zamora, J, Supek, F, Demeulemeester, J et al.. Author Correction: Pan-cancer analysis of whole genomes identifies driver rearrangements promoted by LINE-1 retrotransposition. Nat Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41588-023-01319-9. PubMed PMID:36944736 .
- Akdemir, KC, Le, VT, Chandran, S, Li, Y, Verhaak, RG, Beroukhim, R et al.. Author Correction: Disruption of chromatin folding domains by somatic genomic rearrangements in human cancer. Nat Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41588-023-01318-w. PubMed PMID:36944735 .
- Zapatka, M, Borozan, I, Brewer, DS, Iskar, M, Grundhoff, A, Alawi, M et al.. Author Correction: The landscape of viral associations in human cancers. Nat Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41588-023-01316-y. PubMed PMID:36944734 .
- Cortés-Ciriano, I, Lee, JJ, Xi, R, Jain, D, Jung, YL, Yang, L et al.. Author Correction: Comprehensive analysis of chromothripsis in 2,658 human cancers using whole-genome sequencing. Nat Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41588-023-01315-z. PubMed PMID:36944733 .
- Yuan, Y, Ju, YS, Kim, Y, Li, J, Wang, Y, Yoon, CJ et al.. Author Correction: Comprehensive molecular characterization of mitochondrial genomes in human cancers. Nat Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41588-023-01317-x. PubMed PMID:36944732 .
- Savic Kallesoe, SA, Rabbani, T, Gill, EE, Brinkman, F, Griffiths, EJ, Zawati, M et al.. Canadians' opinions towards COVID-19 data-sharing: a national cross-sectional survey. BMJ Open. 2023;13 (2):e066418. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2022-066418. PubMed PMID:36750286 PubMed Central PMC9905784.
- Alexandrov, LB, Kim, J, Haradhvala, NJ, Huang, MN, Tian Ng, AW, Wu, Y et al.. Author Correction: The repertoire of mutational signatures in human cancer. Nature. 2023;614 (7948):E41. doi: 10.1038/s41586-022-05600-5. PubMed PMID:36697836 PubMed Central PMC9931578.
- Li, Y, Roberts, ND, Wala, JA, Shapira, O, Schumacher, SE, Kumar, K et al.. Author Correction: Patterns of somatic structural variation in human cancer genomes. Nature. 2023;614 (7948):E38. doi: 10.1038/s41586-022-05597-x. PubMed PMID:36697835 PubMed Central PMC9931568.