Associate Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy
Phone: (514) 398-7286
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5101
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Prof. Joly has acquired international recognition in health law, intellectual property and bioethics in the context of modern medicine. Since 2009, he has made a significant contribution to the research, development and successful implementation of controlled access mechanisms for two large academic consortia in the field of genomics: The International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC) (for which he is currently the Data Access Officer) and the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC). These mechanisms are now used by emerging organizations and consortia as models. He is also the author of over 120 peer-reviewed publications in top legal, ethical and scientific journals, as well as numerous book chapters and two books. For the past decade, he has served as a legal and ethical consultant to numerous national and international organizations, companies and para-governmental organizations. He was invited to provide his expert testimony on the topic of genetic discrimination before the Council of Europe (2007) and the Canadian Senate Standing Committee on Human Rights (2014). He was also a Member of the 2007-2009 panel of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences on the return on investments in health research. In 2012, he received the “Innovation Merit” award of the Quebec Bar (Lawyer Emeritus) for his contribution to the fields of privacy and biomedicine. In 2016, Prof. Joly was the recipient of the McGill University Department of Human Genetics’ Teaching Excellence Award and, in 2017, he became a fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (CAHS).
- Dyke, SOM, Ennis, CA, Joly, Y, Walter, J, Siebert, R, Pastinen, T et al.. Communicating science: epigenetics in the spotlight. Environ Epigenet. 2020;6 (1):dvaa015. doi: 10.1093/eep/dvaa015. PubMed PMID:33240528 PubMed Central PMC7673471.
- Bailey, MH, Meyerson, WU, Dursi, LJ, Wang, LB, Dong, G, Liang, WW et al.. Retrospective evaluation of whole exome and genome mutation calls in 746 cancer samples. Nat Commun. 2020;11 (1):4748. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-18151-y. PubMed PMID:32958763 PubMed Central PMC7505971.
- Li, CH, Prokopec, SD, Sun, RX, Yousif, F, Schmitz, N, PCAWG Tumour Subtypes and Clinical Translation et al.. Sex differences in oncogenic mutational processes. Nat Commun. 2020;11 (1):4330. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-17359-2. PubMed PMID:32859912 PubMed Central PMC7455744.
- Cléophat, JE, Pelletier, S, Déry, A, Joly, Y, Gagnon, P, Marin, A et al.. Survey of palliative care providers' needs, perceived roles, and ethical concerns about addressing cancer family history at the end of life. Palliat Support Care. 2020; :1-6. doi: 10.1017/S1478951520000759. PubMed PMID:32838822 .
- Knoppers, BM, Beauvais, MJS, Joly, Y, Zawati, MH, Rousseau, S, Chassé, M et al.. Modeling consent in the time of COVID-19. J Law Biosci. ;7 (1):lsaa020. doi: 10.1093/jlb/lsaa020. PubMed PMID:32728465 PubMed Central PMC7239167.
- Joly, Y, Dalpé, G, Dupras, C, Bévière-Boyer, B, de Paor, A, Dove, ES et al.. Establishing the International Genetic Discrimination Observatory. Nat Genet. 2020;52 (5):466-468. doi: 10.1038/s41588-020-0606-5. PubMed PMID:32203466 .
- Dupras, C, Hagan, J, Joly, Y. Overcoming Biases Together: Normative Stakes of Interdisciplinarity in Bioethics. AJOB Empir Bioeth. ;11 (1):20-23. doi: 10.1080/23294515.2019.1706209. PubMed PMID:32096730 .
- Phillips, M, Molnár-Gábor, F, Korbel, JO, Thorogood, A, Joly, Y, Chalmers, D et al.. Genomics: data sharing needs an international code of conduct. Nature. 2020;578 (7793):31-33. doi: 10.1038/d41586-020-00082-9. PubMed PMID:32025008 .
- ICGC/TCGA Pan-Cancer Analysis of Whole Genomes Consortium. Pan-cancer analysis of whole genomes. Nature. 2020;578 (7793):82-93. doi: 10.1038/s41586-020-1969-6. PubMed PMID:32025007 PubMed Central PMC7025898.
- Dupras, C, Beauchamp, E, Joly, Y. Selling direct-to-consumer epigenetic tests: are we ready?. Nat Rev Genet. 2020;21 (6):335-336. doi: 10.1038/s41576-020-0215-2. PubMed PMID:31992869 .