Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy
Phone: (514) 398-7286
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5101
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Prof. Joly has acquired international recognition in health law, intellectual property and bioethics in the context of modern medicine. Since 2009, he has made a significant contribution to the research, development and successful implementation of controlled access mechanisms for two large academic consortia in the field of genomics: The International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC) (for which he is currently the Data Access Officer) and the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC). These mechanisms are now used by emerging organizations and consortia as models. He is also the author of over 120 peer-reviewed publications in top legal, ethical and scientific journals, as well as numerous book chapters and two books. For the past decade, he has served as a legal and ethical consultant to numerous national and international organizations, companies and para-governmental organizations. He was invited to provide his expert testimony on the topic of genetic discrimination before the Council of Europe (2007) and the Canadian Senate Standing Committee on Human Rights (2014). He was also a Member of the 2007-2009 panel of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences on the return on investments in health research. In 2012, he received the “Innovation Merit” award of the Quebec Bar (Lawyer Emeritus) for his contribution to the fields of privacy and biomedicine. In 2016, Prof. Joly was the recipient of the McGill University Department of Human Genetics’ Teaching Excellence Award and, in 2017, he became a fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (CAHS).
- Alexandrov, LB, Kim, J, Haradhvala, NJ, Huang, MN, Tian Ng, AW, Wu, Y et al.. Author Correction: The repertoire of mutational signatures in human cancer. Nature. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41586-022-05600-5. PubMed PMID:36697836 .
- Li, Y, Roberts, ND, Wala, JA, Shapira, O, Schumacher, SE, Kumar, K et al.. Author Correction: Patterns of somatic structural variation in human cancer genomes. Nature. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41586-022-05597-x. PubMed PMID:36697835 .
- ICGC/TCGA Pan-Cancer Analysis of Whole Genomes Consortium. Author Correction: Pan-cancer analysis of whole genomes. Nature. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41586-022-05598-w. PubMed PMID:36697834 .
- Gerstung, M, Jolly, C, Leshchiner, I, Dentro, SC, Gonzalez, S, Rosebrock, D et al.. Author Correction: The evolutionary history of 2,658 cancers. Nature. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41586-022-05601-4. PubMed PMID:36697833 .
- Rheinbay, E, Nielsen, MM, Abascal, F, Wala, JA, Shapira, O, Tiao, G et al.. Author Correction: Analyses of non-coding somatic drivers in 2,658 cancer whole genomes. Nature. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41586-022-05599-9. PubMed PMID:36697832 .
- PCAWG Transcriptome Core Group, Calabrese, C, Davidson, NR, Demircioğlu, D, Fonseca, NA, He, Y et al.. Author Correction: Genomic basis for RNA alterations in cancer. Nature. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41586-022-05596-y. PubMed PMID:36697831 .
- Puscas, M, Martineau, G, Bhella, G, Bonnen, PE, Carr, P, Lim, R et al.. Rare diseases and space health: optimizing synergies from scientific questions to care. NPJ Microgravity. 2022;8 (1):58. doi: 10.1038/s41526-022-00224-5. PubMed PMID:36550172 PubMed Central PMC9780351.
- Greenbaum, D, Gurwitz, D, Joly, Y. Editorial: COVID-19 pandemics: Ethical, legal and social issues. Front Genet. 2022;13 :1021865. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2022.1021865. PubMed PMID:36523760 PubMed Central PMC9745311.
- Carlevaro-Fita, J, Lanzós, A, Feuerbach, L, Hong, C, Mas-Ponte, D, Pedersen, JS et al.. Author Correction: Cancer LncRNA Census reveals evidence for deep functional conservation of long noncoding RNAs in tumorigenesis. Commun Biol. 2022;5 (1):1347. doi: 10.1038/s42003-022-03769-z. PubMed PMID:36482178 PubMed Central PMC9732278.
- Rubanova, Y, Shi, R, Harrigan, CF, Li, R, Wintersinger, J, Sahin, N et al.. Author Correction: Reconstructing evolutionary trajectories of mutation signature activities in cancer using TrackSig. Nat Commun. 2022;13 (1):7567. doi: 10.1038/s41467-022-32336-7. PubMed PMID:36482170 PubMed Central PMC9731941.