Associate Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy
Phone: (514) 398-7286
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5101
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Prof. Joly has acquired international recognition in health law, intellectual property and bioethics in the context of modern medicine. Since 2009, he has made a significant contribution to the research, development and successful implementation of controlled access mechanisms for two large academic consortia in the field of genomics: The International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC) (for which he is currently the Data Access Officer) and the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC). These mechanisms are now used by emerging organizations and consortia as models. He is also the author of over 120 peer-reviewed publications in top legal, ethical and scientific journals, as well as numerous book chapters and two books. For the past decade, he has served as a legal and ethical consultant to numerous national and international organizations, companies and para-governmental organizations. He was invited to provide his expert testimony on the topic of genetic discrimination before the Council of Europe (2007) and the Canadian Senate Standing Committee on Human Rights (2014). He was also a Member of the 2007-2009 panel of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences on the return on investments in health research. In 2012, he received the “Innovation Merit” award of the Quebec Bar (Lawyer Emeritus) for his contribution to the fields of privacy and biomedicine. In 2016, Prof. Joly was the recipient of the McGill University Department of Human Genetics’ Teaching Excellence Award and, in 2017, he became a fellow of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (CAHS).
- Lapointe, J, Dorval, M, Chiquette, J, Joly, Y, Guertin, JR, Laberge, M et al.. A Collaborative Model to Implement Flexible, Accessible and Efficient Oncogenetic Services for Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer: The C-MOnGene Study. Cancers (Basel). 2021;13 (11):. doi: 10.3390/cancers13112729. PubMed PMID:34072979 PubMed Central PMC8198545.
- Tremblay, K, Rousseau, S, Zawati, MH, Auld, D, Chassé, M, Coderre, D et al.. The Biobanque québécoise de la COVID-19 (BQC19)-A cohort to prospectively study the clinical and biological determinants of COVID-19 clinical trajectories. PLoS One. 2021;16 (5):e0245031. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0245031. PubMed PMID:34010280 PubMed Central PMC8133500.
- So, D, Crocker, K, Sladek, R, Joly, Y. Science fiction authors' perspectives on human genetic engineering. Med Humanit. 2021; :. doi: 10.1136/medhum-2020-012041. PubMed PMID:33893225 .
- Dalpé, G, Pinkesz, M, Oliviero, E, Tolymbek, M, Joly, Y. Genetic discrimination views in online discussion forums: Perspectives from Canadian forumites. J Genet Couns. 2021; :. doi: 10.1002/jgc4.1427. PubMed PMID:33871129 .
- Saulnier, KM, Gallois, H, Joly, Y. Prenatal Genetic Testing for Intersex Conditions in Canada. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2021;43 (3):369-371. doi: 10.1016/j.jogc.2020.05.015. PubMed PMID:33640100 .
- Capps, B, Joly, Y, Mulvihill, J, Lee, WB, HUGO Committee on Ethics, Law and Society, and the HUGO Council. The Human Genome Organisation (HUGO) and the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic. Hum Genomics. 2021;15 (1):12. doi: 10.1186/s40246-021-00310-x. PubMed PMID:33568209 PubMed Central PMC7875157.
- Mbuya Bienge, C, Pashayan, N, Brooks, JD, Dorval, M, Chiquette, J, Eloy, L et al.. Women's Views on Multifactorial Breast Cancer Risk Assessment and Risk-Stratified Screening: A Population-Based Survey from Four Provinces in Canada. J Pers Med. 2021;11 (2):. doi: 10.3390/jpm11020095. PubMed PMID:33540785 PubMed Central PMC7912955.
- Nicol, D, Joly, Y, Kaye, J, Knoppers, B, Meslin, EM, Nielsen, J et al.. Don Chalmers: His Contributions to Legal Research and Education, Health Law, and Research Ethics, Locally and Globally. J Law Med. 2020;28 (1):289-297. . PubMed PMID:33415906 .
- Bailey, MH, Meyerson, WU, Dursi, LJ, Wang, LB, Dong, G, Liang, WW et al.. Author Correction: Retrospective evaluation of whole exome and genome mutation calls in 746 cancer samples. Nat Commun. 2020;11 (1):6232. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-20128-w. PubMed PMID:33257764 PubMed Central PMC7705717.
- Dyke, SOM, Ennis, CA, Joly, Y, Walter, J, Siebert, R, Pastinen, T et al.. Communicating science: epigenetics in the spotlight. Environ Epigenet. 2020;6 (1):dvaa015. doi: 10.1093/eep/dvaa015. PubMed PMID:33240528 PubMed Central PMC7673471.