Bartha Maria Knoppers
Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy, McGill University
Phone: (514) 398-8866
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5214
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Professor Knoppers is uniquely suited to work on the ethical, legal and policy aspects of this proposed research project. She has made significant contributions to international policymaking and in 2018 alone leads or is co-applicant in 27 grants. Since her presidency of the International Ethics Committee of HUGO (1996 – 2004) and her work with the ASHG Social Issues Committee in the 1990s and in the drafting of UNESCO’s Universal Declaration on the Human Genome and Human Rights (1993-1997), she has led the ethics work of the HapMap as well as the 1000 Genomes projects. From 2000 – 2006 she served as Co-Chair of the Sampling/ELSI Committee of the 1000 Genomes Project (2007-) and as a member of the Scientific Steering Committee of the International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC) (2009-2017). She founded the international P3G (Public Population Project in Genomics & Society) and CARTaGENE, Quebec’s national biobank, in 2007. In 2013, she became Chair of the Regulatory and Ethics Working Group, Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH) and member of its Steering Committee. She also serves as Director on the Canadian Council of Academics, as a member of the Bioethics Advisory Committee of Canadian Blood Services and gave the prestigious Galton Lecture in 2017, UK. Additionally, she is an Officer of the Order of Canada and of Quebec. In 2019, she was awarded the Henry G. Friesen International Prize in Health Research and was appointed to the International Commission on the Clinical Use of Human Germline Genome Editing.
- Rothstein, MA, Patrinos, D, Brothers, KB, Clayton, EW, Joly, Y, Zawati, MH et al.. Concordance of International Regulation of Pediatric Health Research. J Pediatr. 2023; :113524. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2023.113524. PubMed PMID:37245625 .
- Attieh, S, Monarque, M, Durand, A, Ahmed, S, Knoppers, BM, Simard, J et al.. Perceptions and Usability of PREVENTION: A Breast Cancer Risk Assessment e-Platform. J Pers Med. 2023;13 (5):. doi: 10.3390/jpm13050850. PubMed PMID:37241021 PubMed Central PMC10223668.
- Poline, JB, Das, S, Glatard, T, Madjar, C, Dickie, EW, Lecours, X et al.. Data and Tools Integration in the Canadian Open Neuroscience Platform. Sci Data. 2023;10 (1):189. doi: 10.1038/s41597-023-01946-1. PubMed PMID:37024500 PubMed Central PMC10079825.
- Yakneen, S, Waszak, SM, PCAWG Technical Working Group, Gertz, M, Korbel, JO, PCAWG Consortium et al.. Author Correction: Butler enables rapid cloud-based analysis of thousands of human genomes. Nat Biotechnol. 2023;41 (4):577. doi: 10.1038/s41587-022-01554-1. PubMed PMID:36944844 PubMed Central PMC10110458.
- Rodriguez-Martin, B, Alvarez, EG, Baez-Ortega, A, Zamora, J, Supek, F, Demeulemeester, J et al.. Author Correction: Pan-cancer analysis of whole genomes identifies driver rearrangements promoted by LINE-1 retrotransposition. Nat Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41588-023-01319-9. PubMed PMID:36944736 .
- Akdemir, KC, Le, VT, Chandran, S, Li, Y, Verhaak, RG, Beroukhim, R et al.. Author Correction: Disruption of chromatin folding domains by somatic genomic rearrangements in human cancer. Nat Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41588-023-01318-w. PubMed PMID:36944735 .
- Zapatka, M, Borozan, I, Brewer, DS, Iskar, M, Grundhoff, A, Alawi, M et al.. Author Correction: The landscape of viral associations in human cancers. Nat Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41588-023-01316-y. PubMed PMID:36944734 .
- Cortés-Ciriano, I, Lee, JJ, Xi, R, Jain, D, Jung, YL, Yang, L et al.. Author Correction: Comprehensive analysis of chromothripsis in 2,658 human cancers using whole-genome sequencing. Nat Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41588-023-01315-z. PubMed PMID:36944733 .
- Yuan, Y, Ju, YS, Kim, Y, Li, J, Wang, Y, Yoon, CJ et al.. Author Correction: Comprehensive molecular characterization of mitochondrial genomes in human cancers. Nat Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1038/s41588-023-01317-x. PubMed PMID:36944732 .
- Knoppers, BM, Bernier, A, Bowers, S, Kirby, E. Open Data in the Era of the GDPR: Lessons from the Human Cell Atlas. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2023; :. doi: 10.1146/annurev-genom-101322-113255. PubMed PMID:36791787 .