Bartha Maria Knoppers
Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy, McGill University
Phone: (514) 398-8866
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5214
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Professor Knoppers is uniquely suited to work on the ethical, legal and policy aspects of this proposed research project. She has made significant contributions to international policymaking and in 2018 alone leads or is co-applicant in 27 grants. Since her presidency of the International Ethics Committee of HUGO (1996 – 2004) and her work with the ASHG Social Issues Committee in the 1990s and in the drafting of UNESCO’s Universal Declaration on the Human Genome and Human Rights (1993-1997), she has led the ethics work of the HapMap as well as the 1000 Genomes projects. From 2000 – 2006 she served as Co-Chair of the Sampling/ELSI Committee of the 1000 Genomes Project (2007-) and as a member of the Scientific Steering Committee of the International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC) (2009-2017). She founded the international P3G (Public Population Project in Genomics & Society) and CARTaGENE, Quebec’s national biobank, in 2007. In 2013, she became Chair of the Regulatory and Ethics Working Group, Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH) and member of its Steering Committee. She also serves as Director on the Canadian Council of Academics, as a member of the Bioethics Advisory Committee of Canadian Blood Services and gave the prestigious Galton Lecture in 2017, UK. Additionally, she is an Officer of the Order of Canada and of Quebec. In 2019, she was awarded the Henry G. Friesen International Prize in Health Research and was appointed to the International Commission on the Clinical Use of Human Germline Genome Editing.
- Winkler, EC, Knoppers, BM. Ethical challenges of precision cancer medicine. Semin Cancer Biol. 2020; :. doi: 10.1016/j.semcancer.2020.09.009. PubMed PMID:33045356 .
- Bovenberg, J, Peloquin, D, Bierer, B, Barnes, M, Knoppers, BM. How to fix the GDPR's frustration of global biomedical research. Science. 2020;370 (6512):40-42. doi: 10.1126/science.abd2499. PubMed PMID:33004505 .
- Rahimzadeh, V, Knoppers, BM, Bartlett, G. Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues (ELSI) of Responsible Data Sharing Involving Children in Genomics: A Systematic Literature Review of Reasons. AJOB Empir Bioeth. 2020; :1-13. doi: 10.1080/23294515.2020.1818875. PubMed PMID:32975491 .
- Bailey, MH, Meyerson, WU, Dursi, LJ, Wang, LB, Dong, G, Liang, WW et al.. Retrospective evaluation of whole exome and genome mutation calls in 746 cancer samples. Nat Commun. 2020;11 (1):4748. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-18151-y. PubMed PMID:32958763 PubMed Central PMC7505971.
- Li, CH, Prokopec, SD, Sun, RX, Yousif, F, Schmitz, N, PCAWG Tumour Subtypes and Clinical Translation et al.. Sex differences in oncogenic mutational processes. Nat Commun. 2020;11 (1):4330. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-17359-2. PubMed PMID:32859912 PubMed Central PMC7455744.
- Kleiderman, E, Nguyen, MT, Knoppers, BM. Of the Rights and Best Interests of Future Generations. Am J Bioeth. 2020;20 (8):38-40. doi: 10.1080/15265161.2020.1782523. PubMed PMID:32804063 .
- Knoppers, BM, Beauvais, MJS, Joly, Y, Zawati, MH, Rousseau, S, Chassé, M et al.. Modeling consent in the time of COVID-19. J Law Biosci. ;7 (1):lsaa020. doi: 10.1093/jlb/lsaa020. PubMed PMID:32728465 PubMed Central PMC7239167.
- Bernier, A, Knoppers, BM. Correction to: Pandemics, privacy, and public health research. Can J Public Health. 2020;111 (4):458. doi: 10.17269/s41997-020-00383-6. PubMed PMID:32661934 PubMed Central PMC7438452.
- Dragojlovic, N, Borle, K, Kopac, N, Ellis, U, Birch, P, Adam, S et al.. Correction: The composition and capacity of the clinical genetics workforce in high-income countries: a scoping review. Genet Med. 2020;22 (9):1570. doi: 10.1038/s41436-020-0903-5. PubMed PMID:32651549 .
- Knoppers, BM, Kekesi-Lafrance, K. The Genetic Family as Patient?. Am J Bioeth. 2020;20 (6):77-80. doi: 10.1080/15265161.2020.1754505. PubMed PMID:32618508 .