Assistant Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy
Phone: (514) 398-4806
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5210
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Ma’n H. Zawati (LL.B., LL.M., Ph.D. (DCL)) is an Assistant Professor at McGill University’s Faculty of Medicine and the Executive Director of the Centre of Genomics and Policy in the Department of Human Genetics. He is also an Associate Member of McGill’s Biomedical Ethics Unit. His research concentrates on the legal, ethical and policy dimensions of health research and clinical care, with a special focus on biobanking, data sharing, professional liability, and the use of novel technologies (e.g. mhealth apps, WGS, WES) in both the clinical and research settings. Dr. Zawati is funded by CIHR, Genome Canada, and Genome Quebec. His work is interdisciplinary, drawing together perspectives from law, ethics, bioinformatics, genomics, and policy. He’s also a frequent presenter on a variety of the most critical and topical issues in healthcare and the biosciences. He has appeared at 100+ international conferences, symposia, meetings, and has shared his expertise with universities, research ethics boards and law firms. Dr. Zawati has published 13 book chapters and 45+ peer reviewed articles in leading publications such as Nature Reviews Genetics, the Canadian Medical Association Journal, the Journal of Law and the Biosciences, the Journal of Medical Genetics, and the McGill Journal of Law and Health. In 2015, he was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarship (stay at Oxford University) and was named a Royal Society of Canada Delegate for the IAP Young Scientists of the Year international symposium. In 2014, the Young Bar Association of Montreal named him as one of its Lawyers of the Year.
- Lang, M, Zawati, MH. Returning individual research results in international direct-to-participant genomic research: results from a 31-country study. Eur J Hum Genet. 2022; :. doi: 10.1038/s41431-022-01103-z. PubMed PMID:35478220 .
- Song, L, Liu, H, Brinkman, FSL, Gill, E, Griffiths, EJ, Hsiao, WWL et al.. Addressing Privacy Concerns in Sharing Viral Sequences and Minimum Contextual Data in a Public Repository During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Front Genet. 2021;12 :716541. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2021.716541. PubMed PMID:35401651 PubMed Central PMC8988250.
- Slomp, C, Morris, E, GenCOUNSEL Study, Price, M, Elliott, AM, Austin, J et al.. Correction to: The stepwise process of integrating a genetic counsellor into primary care. Eur J Hum Genet. 2022;30 (7):865. doi: 10.1038/s41431-022-01063-4. PubMed PMID:35250031 PubMed Central PMC9259581.
- Rothstein, MA, Zawati, MH, Thorogood, A, Beauvais, MJS, Joly, Y, Brothers, KB et al.. Streamlining ethics review for international health research. Science. 2022;375 (6583):825-826. doi: 10.1126/science.abn0675. PubMed PMID:35201881 .
- Slomp, C, Morris, E, GenCOUNSEL Study, Price, M, Elliott, AM, Austin, J et al.. The stepwise process of integrating a genetic counsellor into primary care. Eur J Hum Genet. 2022;30 (7):772-781. doi: 10.1038/s41431-022-01040-x. PubMed PMID:35095102 PubMed Central PMC8801315.
- Marwa, B, Krueger, J, Stephenson, EA, Davidson, S, Allan, D, Knoppers, B et al.. Ethical and Analytic Challenges With Genomic Sequencing of Relapsed Hematologic Malignancies Following Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem-Cell Transplantation. JCO Precis Oncol. 2021;5 :1339-1347. doi: 10.1200/PO.20.00489. PubMed PMID:34994635 .
- Al-Hussaini, M, Mansour, AH, Arawi, TA, Zawati, MH, Morreim, H. Editorial: Bioethics Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic. Front Med (Lausanne). 2021;8 :778146. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2021.778146. PubMed PMID:34901092 PubMed Central PMC8661496.
- Wainstein, T, Marshall, SK, Ross, CJD, Virani, AK, Austin, JC, Elliott, AM et al.. Experiences With Genetic Counseling, Testing, and Diagnosis Among Adolescents With a Genetic Condition: A Scoping Review. JAMA Pediatr. 2022;176 (2):185-195. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2021.4290. PubMed PMID:34807246 .
- Lang, M, Lemieux, S, Hébert, J, Sauvageau, G, Zawati, MH. Legal and Ethical Considerations for the Design and Use of Web Portals for Researchers, Clinicians, and Patients: Scoping Literature Review. J Med Internet Res. 2021;23 (11):e26450. doi: 10.2196/26450. PubMed PMID:34762055 PubMed Central PMC8663501.
- Luu, JM, Sergeant, AK, Anand, SS, Desai, D, Schulze, K, Knoppers, BM et al.. The impact of reporting magnetic resonance imaging incidental findings in the Canadian alliance for healthy hearts and minds cohort. BMC Med Ethics. 2021;22 (1):145. doi: 10.1186/s12910-021-00706-3. PubMed PMID:34711210 PubMed Central PMC8551943.