Assistant Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy
Phone: (514) 398-4806
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5210
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Ma’n H. Zawati (LL.B., LL.M., Ph.D. (DCL)) is an Assistant Professor at McGill University’s Faculty of Medicine and the Executive Director of the Centre of Genomics and Policy in the Department of Human Genetics. He is also an Associate Member of McGill’s Biomedical Ethics Unit. His research concentrates on the legal, ethical and policy dimensions of health research and clinical care, with a special focus on biobanking, data sharing, professional liability, and the use of novel technologies (e.g. mhealth apps, WGS, WES) in both the clinical and research settings. Dr. Zawati is funded by CIHR, Genome Canada, and Genome Quebec. His work is interdisciplinary, drawing together perspectives from law, ethics, bioinformatics, genomics, and policy. He’s also a frequent presenter on a variety of the most critical and topical issues in healthcare and the biosciences. He has appeared at 100+ international conferences, symposia, meetings, and has shared his expertise with universities, research ethics boards and law firms. Dr. Zawati has published 13 book chapters and 45+ peer reviewed articles in leading publications such as Nature Reviews Genetics, the Canadian Medical Association Journal, the Journal of Law and the Biosciences, the Journal of Medical Genetics, and the McGill Journal of Law and Health. In 2015, he was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarship (stay at Oxford University) and was named a Royal Society of Canada Delegate for the IAP Young Scientists of the Year international symposium. In 2014, the Young Bar Association of Montreal named him as one of its Lawyers of the Year.
- Dragojlovic, N, Borle, K, Kopac, N, Ellis, U, Birch, P, Adam, S et al.. The composition and capacity of the clinical genetics workforce in high-income countries: a scoping review. Genet. Med. 2020; :. doi: 10.1038/s41436-020-0825-2. PubMed PMID:32576987 .
- Lang, M, Knoppers, BM, Zawati, MH. International mHealth Research: Old Tools and New Challenges. J Law Med Ethics. 2020;48 (1_suppl):178-186. doi: 10.1177/1073110520917045. PubMed PMID:32342748 .
- Barnes, R, Votova, K, Rahimzadeh, V, Osman, N, Penn, AM, Zawati, MH et al.. Biobanking for Genomic and Personalized Health Research: Participant Perceptions and Preferences. Biopreserv Biobank. 2020;18 (3):204-212. doi: 10.1089/bio.2019.0090. PubMed PMID:32302503 .
- Unim, B, De Vito, C, Hagan, J, Villari, P, Knoppers, BM, Zawati, M et al.. The Provision of Genetic Testing and Related Services in Quebec, Canada. Front Genet. 2020;11 :127. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2020.00127. PubMed PMID:32194621 PubMed Central PMC7064617.
- Zawati, MH. Introduction to the Country Reports. J Law Med Ethics. 2019;47 (4):581. doi: 10.1177/1073110519897735. PubMed PMID:31957594 .
- Zawati, MH, Chalmers, D, Dallari, SG, de Neiva Borba, M, Pinkesz, M, Joly, Y et al.. Country Reports. J Law Med Ethics. 2019;47 (4):582-704. doi: 10.1177/1073110519897736. PubMed PMID:31957584 .
- Rothstein, MA, Zawati, MH, Beskow, LM, Brelsford, KM, Brothers, KB, Hammack-Aviran, CM et al.. Legal and Ethical Challenges of International Direct-to-Participant Genomic Research: Conclusions and Recommendations. J Law Med Ethics. 2019;47 (4):705-731. doi: 10.1177/1073110519898297. PubMed PMID:31957580 .
- Boccia, S, Pastorino, R, Ricciardi, W, Ádány, R, Barnhoorn, F, Boffetta, P et al.. How to Integrate Personalized Medicine into Prevention? Recommendations from the Personalized Prevention of Chronic Diseases (PRECeDI) Consortium. Public Health Genomics. 2019;22 (5-6):208-214. doi: 10.1159/000504652. PubMed PMID:31805565 .
- Zawati, MH, Lang, M. Mind the App: Considerations for the Future of Mobile Health in Canada. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2019;7 (11):e15301. doi: 10.2196/15301. PubMed PMID:31682580 PubMed Central PMC6861998.
- Rothstein, MA, Zawati, MH, Knoppers, BM. Regulatory Landscape of International Direct-to-Participant (DTP) Genomic Research: Time to Untie the Gordian Knot?. J Law Med Ethics. 2019;47 (2):336-341. doi: 10.1177/1073110519857291. PubMed PMID:31298096 .