Assistant Professor, Centre of Genomics and Policy
Phone: (514) 398-4806
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 5210
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Ma’n H. Zawati (LL.B., LL.M., Ph.D. (DCL)) is an Assistant Professor at McGill University’s Faculty of Medicine and the Executive Director of the Centre of Genomics and Policy in the Department of Human Genetics. He is also an Associate Member of McGill’s Biomedical Ethics Unit. His research concentrates on the legal, ethical and policy dimensions of health research and clinical care, with a special focus on biobanking, data sharing, professional liability, and the use of novel technologies (e.g. mhealth apps, WGS, WES) in both the clinical and research settings. Dr. Zawati is funded by CIHR, Genome Canada, and Genome Quebec. His work is interdisciplinary, drawing together perspectives from law, ethics, bioinformatics, genomics, and policy. He’s also a frequent presenter on a variety of the most critical and topical issues in healthcare and the biosciences. He has appeared at 100+ international conferences, symposia, meetings, and has shared his expertise with universities, research ethics boards and law firms. Dr. Zawati has published 13 book chapters and 45+ peer reviewed articles in leading publications such as Nature Reviews Genetics, the Canadian Medical Association Journal, the Journal of Law and the Biosciences, the Journal of Medical Genetics, and the McGill Journal of Law and Health. In 2015, he was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarship (stay at Oxford University) and was named a Royal Society of Canada Delegate for the IAP Young Scientists of the Year international symposium. In 2014, the Young Bar Association of Montreal named him as one of its Lawyers of the Year.
- Beauvais, MJS, Thorogood, AM, Szego, MJ, Sénécal, K, Zawati, MH, Knoppers, BM et al.. Corrigendum: Parental Access to Children's Raw Genomic Data in Canada: Legal Rights and Professional Responsibility. Front Genet. 2021;12 :725850. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2021.725850. PubMed PMID:34276804 PubMed Central PMC8284047.
- Lambert, DM, Patrinos, D, Knoppers, BM, GenCOUNSEL Study, Zawati, MH. Genetic counselors and legal recognition: A made-for-Canada approach. J Genet Couns. 2021; :. doi: 10.1002/jgc4.1468. PubMed PMID:34265864 .
- Tremblay, K, Rousseau, S, Zawati, MH, Auld, D, Chassé, M, Coderre, D et al.. The Biobanque québécoise de la COVID-19 (BQC19)-A cohort to prospectively study the clinical and biological determinants of COVID-19 clinical trajectories. PLoS One. 2021;16 (5):e0245031. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0245031. PubMed PMID:34010280 PubMed Central PMC8133500.
- Vodosin, P, Jorgensen, AK, Mendy, M, Kozlakidis, Z, Caboux, E, Zawati, MH et al.. A Review of Regulatory Frameworks Governing Biobanking in the Low and Middle Income Member Countries of BCNet. Biopreserv Biobank. 2021; :. doi: 10.1089/bio.2020.0101. PubMed PMID:33945303 .
- Beauvais, MJS, Thorogood, AM, Szego, MJ, Sénécal, K, Zawati, MH, Knoppers, BM et al.. Parental Access to Children's Raw Genomic Data in Canada: Legal Rights and Professional Responsibility. Front Genet. 2021;12 :535340. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2021.535340. PubMed PMID:33868358 PubMed Central PMC8044527.
- Wu, Y, Marc, I, Bouchard, L, Ouyang, F, Luo, ZC, Fan, J et al.. Study protocol for the Sino-Canadian Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative (SCHeLTI): a multicentre, cluster-randomised, parallel-group, superiority trial of a multifaceted community-family-mother-child intervention to prevent childhood overweight and obesity. BMJ Open. 2021;11 (4):e045192. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-045192. PubMed PMID:33795307 PubMed Central PMC8021741.
- Zawati, M, Lang, M. What's in the Box?: Uncertain Accountability of Machine Learning Applications in Healthcare. Am J Bioeth. 2020;20 (11):37-40. doi: 10.1080/15265161.2020.1820105. PubMed PMID:33103971 .
- Dragojlovic, N, Borle, K, Kopac, N, Ellis, U, Birch, P, Adam, S et al.. Correction: The composition and capacity of the clinical genetics workforce in high-income countries: a scoping review. Genet Med. 2020;22 (9):1570. doi: 10.1038/s41436-020-0903-5. PubMed PMID:32651549 .
- Lang, M, Knoppers, BM, Zawati, MH. International mHealth Research: Old Tools and New Challenges. J Law Med Ethics. 2020;48 (1_suppl):178-186. doi: 10.1177/1073110520917045. PubMed PMID:32342748 .
- Barnes, R, Votova, K, Rahimzadeh, V, Osman, N, Penn, AM, Zawati, MH et al.. Biobanking for Genomic and Personalized Health Research: Participant Perceptions and Preferences. Biopreserv Biobank. 2020;18 (3):204-212. doi: 10.1089/bio.2019.0090. PubMed PMID:32302503 .