Adjunct Professor, Department of Human Genetics
Division Head, Genomic Medicine Research, Medical Genomics Center, National Center for Global Health and Medicine
Phone: (81)3-3202-7181 Ext.2458
National Center for Global Health and Medicine
1-21-1, Toyama, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 162-8655, Japan
Dr. Atsuko Imai-Okazaki, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H., a Division Head of Genomic Medicine Research at the Medical Genomics Center of National Center for Global Health and Medicine, obtained her M.D. degree from Kobe University in 2005 and subsequently received a Ph.D. degree in medicine from Osaka University and M.P.H. degree from University of Manchester in the UK. She is a cardiologist and a specialist in clinical genetics. Dr. Okazaki obtained the skills of bioinformatics, biostatistics, and statistical genetics at McGill University, Baylor College of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Rockefeller University. She is also an adjunct professor at McGill University, a guest investigator at Rockefeller University, and an adjunct lecturer at Intractable Disease Research Center at Juntendo University.
By combining statistical genetics, clinical genetics and computer science, Dr. Okazaki developed a novel statistical method to prioritize sequence variants using Hamming distance (Sci Rep 2015). One of the clinical applications of her method is a mitochondrial disease cohort in Japan. Dr. Okazaki is in charge of genetic analysis of ~2400 mitochondrial disease patients. She has found causative mutations of mitochondrial diseases and assessed the relationship between long-term prognosis and genetic background of mitochondrial cardiomyopathy (Int J Cardiol 2016, J Human Genet 2016, Hum Mutat 2017, J Pediatr 2018, Int J Cardiol 2019, Human Mutat 2019).
- Konno, Y, Fujino, Y, Ikenouchi, A, Adachi, N, Kubota, Y, Azekawa, T et al.. Relationship Between Mood Episode and Employment Status of Outpatients with Bipolar Disorder: Retrospective Cohort Study from the Multicenter Treatment Survey for Bipolar Disorder in Psychiatric Clinics (MUSUBI) Project. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2021;17 :2867-2876. doi: 10.2147/NDT.S322507. PubMed PMID:34522098 PubMed Central PMC8434929.
- Kasajima, A, Konukiewitz, B, Schlitter, AM, Weichert, W, Klöppel, G. An analysis of 130 neuroendocrine tumors G3 regarding prevalence, origin, metastasis, and diagnostic features. Virchows Arch. 2021; :. doi: 10.1007/s00428-021-03202-6. PubMed PMID:34499237 .
- Kasajima, A, Konukiewitz, B, Schlitter, AM, Weichert, W, Bräsen, JH, Agaimy, A et al.. Mesenchymal/non-epithelial mimickers of neuroendocrine neoplasms with a focus on fusion gene-associated and SWI/SNF-deficient tumors. Virchows Arch. 2021; :. doi: 10.1007/s00428-021-03156-9. PubMed PMID:34350470 .
- Takahashi, K, Ohba, T, Okamoto, Y, Noguchi, A, Okuda, H, Kobayashi, H et al.. E44Q mutation in NaV1.7 in a patient with infantile paroxysmal knee pain: electrophysiological analysis of voltage-dependent sodium current. Heliyon. 2021;7 (6):e07396. doi: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2021.e07396. PubMed PMID:34222704 PubMed Central PMC8243507.
- Ashida, A, Ozaki, N, Kishi, K, Odanaka, Y, Nemoto, S, Konishi, H et al.. Safety and Efficacy of Landiolol Hydrochloride in Children with Tachyarrhythmia of Various Etiologies. Pediatr Cardiol. 2021; :. doi: 10.1007/s00246-021-02653-7. PubMed PMID:34097085 .
- Miyaoka, M, Yao, K, Tanabe, H, Kanemitsu, T, Imamura, K, Ono, Y et al.. Usefulness of vessel plus surface classification system for the diagnosis of early gastric cancer after Helicobacter pylori eradication. Ann Gastroenterol. 2021;34 (3):354-360. doi: 10.20524/aog.2021.0605. PubMed PMID:33948060 PubMed Central PMC8079864.
- Sato, T, Kusuhara, A, Kasahara, Y, Haino, T, Kishi, H, Okamoto, A et al.. Follicular development during hormone replacement therapy in patients with premature ovarian insufficiency. Reprod Med Biol. 2021;20 (2):234-240. doi: 10.1002/rmb2.12375. PubMed PMID:33850457 PubMed Central PMC8022089.
- Nakatsuka, A, Yamaguchi, S, Eguchi, J, Kakuta, S, Iwakura, Y, Sugiyama, H et al.. A Vaspin-HSPA1L complex protects proximal tubular cells from organelle stress in diabetic kidney disease. Commun Biol. 2021;4 (1):373. doi: 10.1038/s42003-021-01902-y. PubMed PMID:33742129 PubMed Central PMC7979793.
- Elgaabari, A, Miyawaki-Kuwakado, A, Tomimatsu, K, Wu, Q, Tokunaga, K, Izumi, W et al.. Epigenetic effects induced by the ectopic expression of Pax7 in 3T3-L1. J Biochem. 2021; :. doi: 10.1093/jb/mvab030. PubMed PMID:33729538 .
- Ichinose, TM, Iwane, AH. Long-term live cell cycle imaging of single Cyanidioschyzon merolae cells. Protoplasma. 2021;258 (3):651-660. doi: 10.1007/s00709-020-01592-z. PubMed PMID:33580410 PubMed Central PMC8052221.