Professor, Department of Human Genetics
Phone: (514) 398-4400 ext 00284
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 6210
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Robert Nadon began his career as an experimental psychologist and transitioned to statistical analysis of high-throughput biology in the 1990s as Director of Informatics at Imaging Research (in St. Catharines, Ontario). While there, he led a team of statisticians, programmers, and biologists to develop novel statistical algorithms and software for microarray analysis. Among the first to champion currently broadly-accepted formal statistical procedures for gene expression microarrays, he developed the first commercially available software package for analysis of microarray data (ArrayStat). More recently, he conceived and spearheaded the development of the popular FlexArray software package.
Since joining McGill faculty in 2002, Dr. Nadon has given over 50 invited scientific presentations and workshops on high-throughput data analysis. He has been PI on three Génome Québec funded grants on high-throughput methods in genomics and a grant on high-throughput screening funded by FQRNT. He is currently an Associate Editor with BMC Bioinformatics and a panel member on the NSERC Genes, Cells and Molecules Evaluation Group. He has established ties and has forged collaborations with colleagues in France; he was a visiting researcher at the Commissariat à l’Énergie Atomique (CEA) in Grenoble, France (2009-2010) and took the McGill lead toward establishing formal links between McGill and l’Université de la Méditerranée in Marseille. He has consulted internationally for biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies at all stages of research projects for both traditional and high-throughput research studies, from initial concept to final data analysis. A recurrent consultation task is to determine and correct underlying causes of underperformance for ongoing research programs.
- Charlier, J, Nadon, R, Makarenkov, V. Accurate deep learning off-target prediction with novel sgRNA-DNA sequence encoding in CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing. Bioinformatics. 2021; :. doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btab112. PubMed PMID:33599251 .
- Yarborough, M, Nadon, R, Karlin, DG. Four erroneous beliefs thwarting more trustworthy research. Elife. 2019;8 :. doi: 10.7554/eLife.45261. PubMed PMID:31355746 PubMed Central PMC6688856.
- Piper, SK, Grittner, U, Rex, A, Riedel, N, Fischer, F, Nadon, R et al.. Exact replication: Foundation of science or game of chance?. PLoS Biol. 2019;17 (4):e3000188. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.3000188. PubMed PMID:30964856 PubMed Central PMC6456162.
- Aguilar-Valles, A, Haji, N, De Gregorio, D, Matta-Camacho, E, Eslamizade, MJ, Popic, J et al.. Translational control of depression-like behavior via phosphorylation of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E. Nat Commun. 2018;9 (1):2459. doi: 10.1038/s41467-018-04883-5. PubMed PMID:29941989 PubMed Central PMC6018502.
- Nadon, R, Kayne, P. Statistics and Biology: Not Your Average Relationship. SLAS Discov. 2018;23 (5):437-439. doi: 10.1177/2472555218769904. PubMed PMID:29781352 .
- Mazoure, B, Caraus, I, Nadon, R, Makarenkov, V. Identification and Correction of Additive and Multiplicative Spatial Biases in Experimental High-Throughput Screening. SLAS Discov. 2018;23 (5):448-458. doi: 10.1177/2472555217750377. PubMed PMID:29346010 .
- Mazoure, B, Nadon, R, Makarenkov, V. Identification and correction of spatial bias are essential for obtaining quality data in high-throughput screening technologies. Sci Rep. 2017;7 (1):11921. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-11940-4. PubMed PMID:28931934 PubMed Central PMC5607347.
- Caraus, I, Mazoure, B, Nadon, R, Makarenkov, V. Detecting and removing multiplicative spatial bias in high-throughput screening technologies. Bioinformatics. 2017;33 (20):3258-3267. doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btx327. PubMed PMID:28633418 .
- Tahmasebi, S, Jafarnejad, SM, Tam, IS, Gonatopoulos-Pournatzis, T, Matta-Camacho, E, Tsukumo, Y et al.. Control of embryonic stem cell self-renewal and differentiation via coordinated alternative splicing and translation of YY2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113 (44):12360-12367. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1615540113. PubMed PMID:27791185 PubMed Central PMC5098618.
- Tsukumo, Y, Alain, T, Fonseca, BD, Nadon, R, Sonenberg, N. Translation control during prolonged mTORC1 inhibition mediated by 4E-BP3. Nat Commun. 2016;7 :11776. doi: 10.1038/ncomms11776. PubMed PMID:27319316 PubMed Central PMC4915159.