Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 7006
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Jesse Shapiro did his undergrad in Biology at McGill, followed by an MSc in Integrative Bioscience at Oxford. He then completed a PhD in Computational and Systems Biology at MIT with Eric Alm, where he developed methods to detect signatures of natural selection, recombination, and speciation in bacterial genomes. He went on to a postdoc with Pardis Sabeti at the Broad Institute and Harvard University, where he studied the evolutionary genomics of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Lassa virus. After seven years as Canada Research Chair in Microbial Evolutionary Genomics at Université de Montréal, he returned to McGill as an associate professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology and the Genome Centre.
Jesse’s research uses genomics to understand the ecology and evolution of microbes, ranging from freshwater bacterioplankton to the human gut microbiome. His work has helped elucidate the origins of bacterial species, leading to a more unified species concept across domains of life, and has developed genome-wide association study (GWAS) methods tailored for bacteria. He is particularly interested in pathogen evolution, and their evolution within patients, and interactions with members of the resident microbiome. His laboratory currently has projects on the ecology and evolution of toxic cyanobacterial blooms, cholera infections, and antimicrobial resistance, among others.
- Leducq, JB, Sneddon, D, Santos, M, Condrain-Morel, D, Bourret, G, Martinez-Gomez, NC et al.. Comprehensive Phylogenomics of Methylobacterium Reveals Four Evolutionary Distinct Groups and Underappreciated Phyllosphere Diversity. Genome Biol Evol. 2022;14 (8):. doi: 10.1093/gbe/evac123. PubMed PMID:35906926 PubMed Central PMC9364378.
- MacKeigan, PW, Garner, RE, Monchamp, MÈ, Walsh, DA, Onana, VE, Kraemer, SA et al.. Comparing microscopy and DNA metabarcoding techniques for identifying cyanobacteria assemblages across hundreds of lakes. Harmful Algae. 2022;113 :102187. doi: 10.1016/j.hal.2022.102187. PubMed PMID:35287928 .
- Barbosa da Costa, N, Hébert, MP, Fugère, V, Terrat, Y, Fussmann, GF, Gonzalez, A et al.. A Glyphosate-Based Herbicide Cross-Selects for Antibiotic Resistance Genes in Bacterioplankton Communities. mSystems. 2022;7 (2):e0148221. doi: 10.1128/msystems.01482-21. PubMed PMID:35266795 PubMed Central PMC9040730.
- Mostefai, F, Gamache, I, N'Guessan, A, Pelletier, J, Huang, J, Murall, CL et al.. Population Genomics Approaches for Genetic Characterization of SARS-CoV-2 Lineages. Front Med (Lausanne). 2022;9 :826746. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2022.826746. PubMed PMID:35265640 PubMed Central PMC8899026.
- Leducq, JB, Seyer-Lamontagne, É, Condrain-Morel, D, Bourret, G, Sneddon, D, Foster, JA et al.. Fine-Scale Adaptations to Environmental Variation and Growth Strategies Drive Phyllosphere Methylobacterium Diversity. mBio. 2022; :e0317521. doi: 10.1128/mbio.03175-21. PubMed PMID:35073752 PubMed Central PMC8787475.
- Murall, CL, Fournier, E, Galvez, JH, N'Guessan, A, Reiling, SJ, Quirion, PO et al.. A small number of early introductions seeded widespread transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in Québec, Canada. Genome Med. 2021;13 (1):169. doi: 10.1186/s13073-021-00986-9. PubMed PMID:34706766 PubMed Central PMC8550813.
- Douglas, GM, Shapiro, BJ. Genic Selection Within Prokaryotic Pangenomes. Genome Biol Evol. 2021;13 (11):. doi: 10.1093/gbe/evab234. PubMed PMID:34665261 PubMed Central PMC8598171.
- Pérez-Carrascal, OM, Tromas, N, Terrat, Y, Moreno, E, Giani, A, Corrêa Braga Marques, L et al.. Single-colony sequencing reveals microbe-by-microbiome phylosymbiosis between the cyanobacterium Microcystis and its associated bacteria. Microbiome. 2021;9 (1):194. doi: 10.1186/s40168-021-01140-8. PubMed PMID:34579777 PubMed Central PMC8477515.
- Levade, I, Khan, AI, Chowdhury, F, Calderwood, SB, Ryan, ET, Harris, JB et al.. A Combination of Metagenomic and Cultivation Approaches Reveals Hypermutator Phenotypes within Vibrio cholerae-Infected Patients. mSystems. 2021;6 (4):e0088921. doi: 10.1128/mSystems.00889-21. PubMed PMID:34427503 PubMed Central PMC8407408.
- Orsi, WD, Magritsch, T, Vargas, S, Coskun, ÖK, Vuillemin, A, Höhna, S et al.. Genome Evolution in Bacteria Isolated from Million-Year-Old Subseafloor Sediment. mBio. 2021;12 (4):e0115021. doi: 10.1128/mBio.01150-21. PubMed PMID:34399613 PubMed Central PMC8406185.