Professor, Department of Human Genetics
Phone: (514) 398-6583
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 6105
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Professor Lathrop’s areas of research interest lie in the application of genomics and statistical methods to understand the molecular basis of human disease. He joined the McGill University in 2011 where he is Professor in the Department of Human Genetics and Scientific Director of the McGill University and Genome Quebec Innovation Centre. Dr. Lathrop was trained in theoretical statistics and genetics at the University of Washington. After obtaining his PhD, he moved to France where he was one of the founding members of the CEPH, which pioneered the international collaboration on the human genome in the 1980s and 1990s. In 1993, he moved to the University of Oxford, where he was a Wellcome Trust Principal Fellow and Professor of Human Genetics. At the University of Oxford he was the co-founder and first scientific director of the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, an institute created to apply genomic approaches to understanding the molecular basis of human disease. At the request of the French government he returned to France in 1998 to found the centre National de Génotypage which developed into the principal national infrastructure for human genetic studies in France.. In 2005, the French government asked Pr. Lathrop to serve also as the scientific director of the Fondation Jean Dausset – Centre d’Etude du Polymorphism. He held these responsibilities until taking up his position at McGill.
- Willis-Owen, SAG, Domingo-Sabugo, C, Starren, E, Liang, L, Freidin, MB, Arseneault, M et al.. Y disruption, autosomal hypomethylation and poor male lung cancer survival. Sci Rep. 2021;11 (1):12453. doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-91907-8. PubMed PMID:34127738 PubMed Central PMC8203787.
- Kosmicki, JA, Horowitz, JE, Banerjee, N, Lanche, R, Marcketta, A, Maxwell, E et al.. Pan-ancestry exome-wide association analyses of COVID-19 outcomes in 586,157 individuals. Am J Hum Genet. 2021; :. doi: 10.1016/j.ajhg.2021.05.017. PubMed PMID:34115965 PubMed Central PMC8173480.
- Povysil, G, Butler-Laporte, G, Shang, N, Wang, C, Khan, A, Alaamery, M et al.. Rare loss-of-function variants in type I IFN immunity genes are not associated with severe COVID-19. J Clin Invest. 2021; :. doi: 10.1172/JCI147834. PubMed PMID:34043590 .
- Tschorn, M, Lorenz, RC, O'Reilly, PF, Reichenberg, A, Banaschewski, T, Bokde, ALW et al.. Differential predictors for alcohol use in adolescents as a function of familial risk. Transl Psychiatry. 2021;11 (1):157. doi: 10.1038/s41398-021-01260-7. PubMed PMID:33664233 PubMed Central PMC7933140.
- Abedi-Ardekani, B, Nasrollahzadeh, D, Egevad, L, Banks, RE, Vasudev, N, Holcatova, I et al.. Morphological findings in frozen non-neoplastic kidney tissues of patients with kidney cancer from large-scale multicentric studies on renal cancer. Virchows Arch. 2021;478 (6):1099-1107. doi: 10.1007/s00428-020-02986-3. PubMed PMID:33403511 PubMed Central PMC8203524.
- Povysil, G, Butler-Laporte, G, Shang, N, Weng, C, Khan, A, Alaamery, M et al.. Failure to replicate the association of rare loss-of-function variants in type I IFN immunity genes with severe COVID-19. medRxiv. 2020; :. doi: 10.1101/2020.12.18.20248226. PubMed PMID:33398295 PubMed Central PMC7781338.
- Feng, YA, Guo, Y, Pain, L, Lathrop, GM, Laprise, C, Moffatt, MF et al.. Estimating cell-type-specific DNA methylation effects in heterogeneous cellular populations. Epigenomics. 2021;13 (2):87-97. doi: 10.2217/epi-2020-0147. PubMed PMID:33350870 .
- Corbett, RD, Eveleigh, R, Whitney, J, Barai, N, Bourgey, M, Chuah, E et al.. A Distributed Whole Genome Sequencing Benchmark Study. Front Genet. 2020;11 :612515. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2020.612515. PubMed PMID:33335541 PubMed Central PMC7736078.
- Sargurupremraj, M, Suzuki, H, Jian, X, Sarnowski, C, Evans, TE, Bis, JC et al.. Cerebral small vessel disease genomics and its implications across the lifespan. Nat Commun. 2020;11 (1):6285. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-19111-2. PubMed PMID:33293549 PubMed Central PMC7722866.
- Bailey, MH, Meyerson, WU, Dursi, LJ, Wang, LB, Dong, G, Liang, WW et al.. Author Correction: Retrospective evaluation of whole exome and genome mutation calls in 746 cancer samples. Nat Commun. 2020;11 (1):6232. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-20128-w. PubMed PMID:33257764 PubMed Central PMC7705717.