Assistant Professor, Department of Human Genetics
Phone: (514) 398-5308
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 7202
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Dr. Najafabadi is an Assistant Professor in Department of Human Genetics, and Principal Investigator of the Computational and Statistical Genomics lab at McGill Genome Center. After obtaining his Master’s degree from University of Tehran, he did his PhD studies at McGill University, where he worked on genomics and bioinformatics analysis of gene regulation in parasitic organisms. He obtained his PhD in 2012 and moved to University of Toronto as a Banting postdoctoral fellow, working on new machine learning approaches to study the gene regulatory programs of human cells. He joined McGill University as an Assistant Professor in 2016, where he currently holds the Canada Research Chair in Systems Biology of Gene Regulation. He is also a member of the McGill PhD program in Quantitative Life Sciences, as well as an associate member of the Rosalind and Morris Goodman Cancer Research Centre.
Genome is a self-extracting program with encoded instructions that tightly control the flow of genetic information. The research in Najafabadi lab encompasses the development of computational and statistical frameworks to decode these regulatory instructions, understand the evolutionary mechanisms that have shaped them, and decipher their role in normal cell function and in human diseases. By developing novel methods based on machine learning and statistical inference, his lab aims to characterize the regulatory factors that govern transcription, RNA splicing, and mRNA stability, and their contribution to neurodegenerative disorders and cancer.
- Hernandez-Corchado, A, Najafabadi, HS. Toward a base-resolution panorama of the in vivo impact of cytosine methylation on transcription factor binding. Genome Biol. 2022;23 (1):151. doi: 10.1186/s13059-022-02713-y. PubMed PMID:35799193 PubMed Central PMC9264634.
- Alkallas, R, Najafabadi, HS. Analysis of mRNA Dynamics Using RNA Sequencing Data. Methods Mol Biol. 2022;2515 :129-150. doi: 10.1007/978-1-0716-2409-8_9. PubMed PMID:35776350 .
- Moldoveanu, D, Ramsay, L, Lajoie, M, Anderson-Trocme, L, Lingrand, M, Berry, D et al.. Spatially mapping the immune landscape of melanoma using imaging mass cytometry. Sci Immunol. 2022;7 (70):eabi5072. doi: 10.1126/sciimmunol.abi5072. PubMed PMID:35363543 .
- Sharanek, A, Burban, A, Hernandez-Corchado, A, Madrigal, A, Fatakdawala, I, Najafabadi, HS et al.. Transcriptional control of brain tumor stem cells by a carbohydrate binding protein. Cell Rep. 2021;36 (9):109647. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2021.109647. PubMed PMID:34469737 .
- Najafabadi, HA, Khansefid, M, Mahmoud, GG, Haruna, IL, Zhou, H, Hickford, JGH et al.. Identification of sequence variation in the oocyte-derived bone morphogenetic protein 15 (BMP15) gene (BMP15) associated with litter size in New Zealand sheep (Ovis aries) breeds. Mol Biol Rep. 2021;48 (9):6335-6342. doi: 10.1007/s11033-021-06627-z. PubMed PMID:34379287 .
- Fish, L, Khoroshkin, M, Navickas, A, Garcia, K, Culbertson, B, Hänisch, B et al.. A prometastatic splicing program regulated by SNRPA1 interactions with structured RNA elements. Science. 2021;372 (6543):. doi: 10.1126/science.abc7531. PubMed PMID:33986153 PubMed Central PMC8238114.
- Tawil, N, Bassawon, R, Meehan, B, Nehme, A, Montermini, L, Gayden, T et al.. Glioblastoma cell populations with distinct oncogenic programs release podoplanin as procoagulant extracellular vesicles. Blood Adv. 2021;5 (6):1682-1694. doi: 10.1182/bloodadvances.2020002998. PubMed PMID:33720339 PubMed Central PMC7993100.
- Amjadi, MA, Yeganeh, HM, Sadeghi, M, Abbas Raza, SH, Yang, J, Najafabadi, HA et al.. Microsatellite Analysis of Genetic Diversity and Population Structure of the Iranian Kurdish Horse. J Equine Vet Sci. 2021;98 :103358. doi: 10.1016/j.jevs.2020.103358. PubMed PMID:33663714 .
- Lazure, F, Blackburn, DM, Corchado, AH, Sahinyan, K, Karam, N, Sharanek, A et al.. Myf6/MRF4 is a myogenic niche regulator required for the maintenance of the muscle stem cell pool. EMBO Rep. 2020;21 (12):e49499. doi: 10.15252/embr.201949499. PubMed PMID:33047485 PubMed Central PMC7726801.
- Couturier, CP, Ayyadhury, S, Le, PU, Nadaf, J, Monlong, J, Riva, G et al.. Author Correction: Single-cell RNA-seq reveals that glioblastoma recapitulates a normal neurodevelopmental hierarchy. Nat Commun. 2020;11 (1):4041. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-17979-8. PubMed PMID:32769982 PubMed Central PMC7415133.