Assistant Professor, Department of Human Genetics
Phone: (514) 398-5308
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 7202
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G1
Dr. Najafabadi is an Assistant Professor in Department of Human Genetics, and Principal Investigator of the Computational and Statistical Genomics lab at McGill Genome Center. After obtaining his Master’s degree from University of Tehran, he did his PhD studies at McGill University, where he worked on genomics and bioinformatics analysis of gene regulation in parasitic organisms. He obtained his PhD in 2012 and moved to University of Toronto as a Banting postdoctoral fellow, working on new machine learning approaches to study the gene regulatory programs of human cells. He joined McGill University as an Assistant Professor in 2016, where he currently holds the Canada Research Chair in Systems Biology of Gene Regulation. He is also a member of the McGill PhD program in Quantitative Life Sciences, as well as an associate member of the Rosalind and Morris Goodman Cancer Research Centre.
Genome is a self-extracting program with encoded instructions that tightly control the flow of genetic information. The research in Najafabadi lab encompasses the development of computational and statistical frameworks to decode these regulatory instructions, understand the evolutionary mechanisms that have shaped them, and decipher their role in normal cell function and in human diseases. By developing novel methods based on machine learning and statistical inference, his lab aims to characterize the regulatory factors that govern transcription, RNA splicing, and mRNA stability, and their contribution to neurodegenerative disorders and cancer.
- Couturier, CP, Ayyadhury, S, Le, PU, Nadaf, J, Monlong, J, Riva, G et al.. Single-cell RNA-seq reveals that glioblastoma recapitulates a normal neurodevelopmental hierarchy. Nat Commun. 2020;11 (1):3406. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-17186-5. PubMed PMID:32641768 .
- Farouni, R, Djambazian, H, Ferri, LE, Ragoussis, J, Najafabadi, HS. Model-based analysis of sample index hopping reveals its widespread artifacts in multiplexed single-cell RNA-sequencing. Nat Commun. 2020;11 (1):2704. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-16522-z. PubMed PMID:32483174 PubMed Central PMC7264361.
- Blackburn, DM, Lazure, F, Corchado, AH, Perkins, TJ, Najafabadi, HS, Soleimani, VD et al.. High-resolution genome-wide expression analysis of single myofibers using SMART-Seq. J. Biol. Chem. 2019;294 (52):20097-20108. doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA119.011506. PubMed PMID:31753917 PubMed Central PMC6937554.
- Fish, L, Navickas, A, Culbertson, B, Xu, Y, Nguyen, HCB, Zhang, S et al.. Nuclear TARBP2 Drives Oncogenic Dysregulation of RNA Splicing and Decay. Mol. Cell. 2019;75 (5):967-981.e9. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2019.06.001. PubMed PMID:31300274 PubMed Central PMC6731133.
- Buckley, MA, Woods, NT, Tyrer, JP, Mendoza-Fandiño, G, Lawrenson, K, Hazelett, DJ et al.. Functional Analysis and Fine Mapping of the 9p22.2 Ovarian Cancer Susceptibility Locus. Cancer Res. 2019;79 (3):467-481. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-17-3864. PubMed PMID:30487138 PubMed Central PMC6359979.
- Feulner, L, Najafabadi, HS, Tanguay, S, Rak, J, Riazalhosseini, Y. Age-related variations in gene expression patterns of renal cell carcinoma. Urol. Oncol. 2019;37 (2):166-175. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2018.11.006. PubMed PMID:30478010 .
- Alkallas, R, Fish, L, Goodarzi, H, Najafabadi, HS. Publisher Correction: Inference of RNA decay rate from transcriptional profiling highlights the regulatory programs of Alzheimer's disease. Nat Commun. 2018;9 (1):4625. doi: 10.1038/s41467-018-07153-6. PubMed PMID:30382106 PubMed Central PMC6208437.
- Doğan, B, Najafabadi, HS. Computational Methods for Analysis of the DNA-Binding Preferences of Cys2His2 Zinc-Finger Proteins. Methods Mol. Biol. 2018;1867 :15-28. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-8799-3_2. PubMed PMID:30155812 .
- Karimzadeh, M, Jandaghi, P, Papadakis, AI, Trainor, S, Rung, J, Gonzàlez-Porta, M et al.. Aberration hubs in protein interaction networks highlight actionable targets in cancer. Oncotarget. 2018;9 (38):25166-25180. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.25382. PubMed PMID:29861861 PubMed Central PMC5982744.
- Perron, G, Jandaghi, P, Solanki, S, Safisamghabadi, M, Storoz, C, Karimzadeh, M et al.. A General Framework for Interrogation of mRNA Stability Programs Identifies RNA-Binding Proteins that Govern Cancer Transcriptomes. Cell Rep. 2018;23 (6):1639-1650. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2018.04.031. PubMed PMID:29742422 .