Assistant Professor, Department of Human Genetics
Phone: (514) 398-8364
740 Dr Penfield Ave, Room 7101
Montréal, Québec, Canada, H3A 0G4
Sirui Zhou joined the Department of Human Genetics and the Canada Excellence Research Chair in Genomic Medicine as an assistant professor in January 2022. She obtained her PhD from the Université de Montréal in 2017, under the supervision of Dr. Guy Rouleau at the Neuro. Her PhD trainings were focused on the genetic architecture of Nunavik Inuit and intracranial aneurysms in founder populations of Quebec. Later, she pursued her studies in the lab of Dr. Brent Richards at the LDI, as a CIHR postdoctoral fellow. She leveraged multi-omics data and used genetic epidemiological methods to identify tractable biomarkers for osteoporosis, and during the pandemic, to identify potential drug targets for severe COVID-19.
Blood proteins can reflect the biological processes in tissues and thus are the first indicators of disease. They could be directly targeted for therapeutic intervention if the causal relationship between proteins and diseases are elucidated. Environmental and genetic factors associated with different ancestries may also reflect the change in proteomics and interactions between different omics, which could be leveraged to identify targets for disease. Currently, I am interested in using the proteomic, metabolomic and genomic data from the BQC19 (Banque québécoise de la COVID-19) and other large biobanks to explore potential targets that contribute to the risks to severe SARS-CoV2 infection and other related traits in multiple populations
- Bakker, MK, Kanning, JP, Abraham, G, Martinsen, AE, Winsvold, BS, Zwart, JA et al.. Genetic Risk Score for Intracranial Aneurysms: Prediction of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage and Role in Clinical Heterogeneity. Stroke. 2023; :. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.122.040715. PubMed PMID:36655558 .
- Chen, Y, Lu, T, Pettersson-Kymmer, U, Stewart, ID, Butler-Laporte, G, Nakanishi, T et al.. Genomic atlas of the plasma metabolome prioritizes metabolites implicated in human diseases. Nat Genet. 2023;55 (1):44-53. doi: 10.1038/s41588-022-01270-1. PubMed PMID:36635386 .
- Butler-Laporte, G, Gonzalez-Kozlova, E, Su, CY, Zhou, S, Nakanishi, T, Brunet-Ratnasingham, E et al.. Correction: The dynamic changes and sex differences of 147 immune-related proteins during acute COVID-19 in 580 individuals. Clin Proteomics. 2022;19 (1):40. doi: 10.1186/s12014-022-09378-6. PubMed PMID:36376796 PubMed Central PMC9663286.
- Lu, T, Forgetta, V, Greenwood, CMT, Zhou, S, Richards, JB. Circulating Proteins Influencing Psychiatric Disease: A Mendelian Randomization Study. Biol Psychiatry. 2023;93 (1):82-91. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2022.08.015. PubMed PMID:36280454 .
- Sun, X, Xiao, W, Li, Z, Zhou, S, Dong, M, Huang, C et al.. Does vitamin D supplementation improve bone health, body composition and physical performance beyond endurance exercise in patients with type 2 diabetes: A secondary analysis of randomized controlled trial. Front Physiol. 2022;13 :1003572. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2022.1003572. PubMed PMID:36246136 PubMed Central PMC9554259.
- Butler-Laporte, G, Gonzalez-Kozlova, E, Su, CY, Zhou, S, Nakanishi, T, Brunet-Ratnasingham, E et al.. The dynamic changes and sex differences of 147 immune-related proteins during acute COVID-19 in 580 individuals. Clin Proteomics. 2022;19 (1):34. doi: 10.1186/s12014-022-09371-z. PubMed PMID:36171541 PubMed Central PMC9516500.
- Paranjpe, I, Jayaraman, P, Su, CY, Zhou, S, Chen, S, Thompson, R et al.. Proteomic Characterization of Acute Kidney Injury in Patients Hospitalized with SARS-CoV2 Infection. medRxiv. 2022; :. doi: 10.1101/2021.12.09.21267548. PubMed PMID:36093350 PubMed Central PMC9460972.
- Smith-Byrne, K, Cerani, A, Guida, F, Zhou, S, Agudo, A, Aleksandrova, K et al.. Circulating Isovalerylcarnitine and Lung Cancer Risk: Evidence from Mendelian Randomization and Prediagnostic Blood Measurements. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2022;31 (10):1966-1974. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-21-1033. PubMed PMID:35839461 PubMed Central PMC9530646.
- Duncan, CJA, Skouboe, MK, Howarth, S, Hollensen, AK, Chen, R, Børresen, ML et al.. Life-threatening viral disease in a novel form of autosomal recessive IFNAR2 deficiency in the Arctic. J Exp Med. 2022;219 (6):. doi: 10.1084/jem.20212427. PubMed PMID:35442417 PubMed Central PMC9026249.
- Brunet-Ratnasingham, E, Anand, SP, Gantner, P, Dyachenko, A, Moquin-Beaudry, G, Brassard, N et al.. Integrated immunovirological profiling validates plasma SARS-CoV-2 RNA as an early predictor of COVID-19 mortality. Sci Adv. 2021;7 (48):eabj5629. doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abj5629. PubMed PMID:34826237 PubMed Central PMC8626074.