Adjunct Professor, Department of Human Genetics
Phone: (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Children’s Mercy Hospital
2401 Gillham Rd
Kansas City MO 64108
Dr. Elin Grundberg completed her PhD (2006) in Molecular Medicine at Uppsala University, Sweden and following post-doctoral training at the McGill University and Genome Quebec Innovation Centre she joined Wellcome Trust Sanger institute in 2009 to lead the international MuTHER Consortium, which included developing a major resource of detailed genomics and epigenomics data from multiple disease-targeted tissues from twins. In 2012, she was appointed Tenure-Track Assistant Professor at the Department of Human Genetics at McGill University where her group was applying various next-generation sequencing approaches to understand genetic and epigenetic factors underlying complex disease susceptibility. Dr. Grundberg lead two CIHR team grants on this topic including the EpiTriO Consotium with partners in Canada and Europe. She held a Canada Research Chair (tier 2) in Disease Genomics and Epigenomics.
In Oct 2017, Dr. Grundberg joined the faculty at Children’s Mercy Kansas City where she holds the Roberta D. Harding & William F. Bradley, Jr. Endowed Chair in Genomic Research. She is building a comprehensive research program leveraging international collaborations (King’s College London, UK; INSERM, France, Helmholtz Zentrum, Germany, McGill, Canada) as well as local collaborators (CM, UMKC, KUMC) for tissue-resources and methodologies essential for contemporary disease genomics and epigenomics. Research areas span genomics medicine applied in pediatric and adult populations including rare diseases, metabolic diseases, social and environmental health and perinatal/maternal health.
Dr. Grundberg currently collaborates with a number of large international research consortia and is the author of over 75 scientific papers.
- Winkley, K, Koseva, B, Banerjee, D, Cheung, W, Selvarangan, R, Pastinen, T et al.. High-resolution epigenome analysis in nasal samples derived from children with respiratory viral infections reveals striking changes upon SARS-CoV-2 infection. medRxiv. 2021; :. doi: 10.1101/2021.03.09.21253155. PubMed PMID:33758880 PubMed Central PMC7987039.
- Bradley, T, Grundberg, E, Selvarangan, R, LeMaster, C, Fraley, E, Banerjee, D et al.. Antibody Responses after a Single Dose of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA Vaccine. N Engl J Med. 2021; :. doi: 10.1056/NEJMc2102051. PubMed PMID:33755375 PubMed Central PMC8008753.
- Ostinelli, G, Vijay, J, Vohl, MC, Grundberg, E, Tchernof, A. AKR1C2 and AKR1C3 expression in adipose tissue: Association with body fat distribution and regulatory variants. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2021;527 :111220. doi: 10.1016/j.mce.2021.111220. PubMed PMID:33675863 .
- Varberg, KM, Iqbal, K, Muto, M, Simon, ME, Scott, RL, Kozai, K et al.. ASCL2 reciprocally controls key trophoblast lineage decisions during hemochorial placenta development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2021;118 (10):. doi: 10.1073/pnas.2016517118. PubMed PMID:33649217 PubMed Central PMC7958375.
- Bradley, T, Grundberg, E, Selvarangan, R. Antibody responses boosted in seropositive healthcare workers after single dose of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccine. medRxiv. 2021; :. doi: 10.1101/2021.02.03.21251078. PubMed PMID:33564797 PubMed Central PMC7872392.
- Allum, F, Grundberg, E. Capturing functional epigenomes for insight into metabolic diseases. Mol Metab. 2020;38 :100936. doi: 10.1016/j.molmet.2019.12.016. PubMed PMID:32199819 PubMed Central PMC7300388.
- Péan, N, Le Lay, A, Brial, F, Wasserscheid, J, Rouch, C, Vincent, M et al.. Dominant gut Prevotella copri in gastrectomised non-obese diabetic Goto-Kakizaki rats improves glucose homeostasis through enhanced FXR signalling. Diabetologia. 2020;63 (6):1223-1235. doi: 10.1007/s00125-020-05122-7. PubMed PMID:32173762 PubMed Central PMC7228998.
- Vijay, J, Gauthier, MF, Biswell, RL, Louiselle, DA, Johnston, JJ, Cheung, WA et al.. Single-cell analysis of human adipose tissue identifies depot and disease specific cell types. Nat Metab. 2020;2 (1):97-109. doi: 10.1038/s42255-019-0152-6. PubMed PMID:32066997 PubMed Central PMC7025882.
- Chan, D, Shao, X, Dumargne, MC, Aarabi, M, Simon, MM, Kwan, T et al.. Customized MethylC-Capture Sequencing to Evaluate Variation in the Human Sperm DNA Methylome Representative of Altered Folate Metabolism. Environ Health Perspect. 2019;127 (8):87002. doi: 10.1289/EHP4812. PubMed PMID:31393794 PubMed Central PMC6792365.
- Zheng, J, Maerz, W, Gergei, I, Kleber, M, Drechsler, C, Wanner, C et al.. Mendelian Randomization Analysis Reveals a Causal Influence of Circulating Sclerostin Levels on Bone Mineral Density and Fractures. J Bone Miner Res. 2019;34 (10):1824-1836. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.3803. PubMed PMID:31170332 PubMed Central PMC6899787.