Adjunct Professor, Department of Human Genetics
Phone: (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Children’s Mercy Hospital
2401 Gillham Rd
Kansas City MO 64108
Dr. Elin Grundberg completed her PhD (2006) in Molecular Medicine at Uppsala University, Sweden and following post-doctoral training at the McGill University and Genome Quebec Innovation Centre she joined Wellcome Trust Sanger institute in 2009 to lead the international MuTHER Consortium, which included developing a major resource of detailed genomics and epigenomics data from multiple disease-targeted tissues from twins. In 2012, she was appointed Tenure-Track Assistant Professor at the Department of Human Genetics at McGill University where her group was applying various next-generation sequencing approaches to understand genetic and epigenetic factors underlying complex disease susceptibility. Dr. Grundberg lead two CIHR team grants on this topic including the EpiTriO Consotium with partners in Canada and Europe. She held a Canada Research Chair (tier 2) in Disease Genomics and Epigenomics.
In Oct 2017, Dr. Grundberg joined the faculty at Children’s Mercy Kansas City where she holds the Roberta D. Harding & William F. Bradley, Jr. Endowed Chair in Genomic Research. She is building a comprehensive research program leveraging international collaborations (King’s College London, UK; INSERM, France, Helmholtz Zentrum, Germany, McGill, Canada) as well as local collaborators (CM, UMKC, KUMC) for tissue-resources and methodologies essential for contemporary disease genomics and epigenomics. Research areas span genomics medicine applied in pediatric and adult populations including rare diseases, metabolic diseases, social and environmental health and perinatal/maternal health.
Dr. Grundberg currently collaborates with a number of large international research consortia and is the author of over 75 scientific papers.
- Hassan, N, Gregson, CL, Tang, H, van der Kamp, M, Leo, P, McInerney-Leo, AM et al.. Rare and Common Variants in GALNT3 May Affect Bone Mass Independently of Phosphate Metabolism. J Bone Miner Res. 2023; :. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.4795. PubMed PMID:36824040 .
- Li, X, Shao, X, Xue, Q, Kou, M, Champagne, CM, Koseva, BS et al.. DNA methylation near CPT1A and changes in triglyceride-rich lipoproteins in response to weight-loss diet interventions. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2023; :. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgad086. PubMed PMID:36800272 .
- Zion, TN, Berrios, CD, Cohen, ASA, Bartik, L, Cross, LA, Engleman, KL et al.. Insurance denials and diagnostic rates in a pediatric genomic research cohort. Genet Med. 2023;25 (5):100020. doi: 10.1016/j.gim.2023.100020. PubMed PMID:36718845 .
- Xia, S, Vila Ellis, L, Winkley, K, Menden, H, Mabry, SM, Venkatraman, A et al.. Neonatal hyperoxia induces activated pulmonary cellular states and sex-dependent transcriptomic changes in a model of experimental bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2023;324 (2):L123-L140. doi: 10.1152/ajplung.00252.2022. PubMed PMID:36537711 PubMed Central PMC9902224.
- Ningappa, M, Shao, X, Ashokkumar, C, Xu, Q, Zeevi, A, Grundberg, E et al.. The Role of Dynamic DNA Methylation in Liver Transplant Rejection in Children. Transplant Direct. 2022;8 (11):e1394. doi: 10.1097/TXD.0000000000001394. PubMed PMID:36259078 PubMed Central PMC9575761.
- Yang, CH, Fagnocchi, L, Apostle, S, Wegert, V, Casaní-Galdón, S, Landgraf, K et al.. Independent phenotypic plasticity axes define distinct obesity sub-types. Nat Metab. 2022;4 (9):1150-1165. doi: 10.1038/s42255-022-00629-2. PubMed PMID:36097183 PubMed Central PMC9499872.
- Christiansen, C, Tomlinson, M, Eliot, M, Nilsson, E, Costeira, R, Xia, Y et al.. Adipose methylome integrative-omic analyses reveal genetic and dietary metabolic health drivers and insulin resistance classifiers. Genome Med. 2022;14 (1):75. doi: 10.1186/s13073-022-01077-z. PubMed PMID:35843982 PubMed Central PMC9290282.
- Maltais-Payette, I, Vijay, J, Simon, MM, Corbeil, J, Brière, F, Grundberg, E et al.. Large-scale analysis of circulating glutamate and adipose gene expression in relation to abdominal obesity. Amino Acids. 2022;54 (9):1287-1294. doi: 10.1007/s00726-022-03181-1. PubMed PMID:35809202 .
- Geanes, ES, LeMaster, C, Fraley, ER, Khanal, S, McLennan, R, Grundberg, E et al.. Cross-reactive antibodies elicited to conserved epitopes on SARS-CoV-2 spike protein after infection and vaccination. Sci Rep. 2022;12 (1):6496. doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-10230-y. PubMed PMID:35444221 PubMed Central PMC9019795.
- Cohen, ASA, Farrow, EG, Abdelmoity, AT, Alaimo, JT, Amudhavalli, SM, Anderson, JT et al.. Genomic answers for children: Dynamic analyses of >1000 pediatric rare disease genomes. Genet Med. 2022;24 (6):1336-1348. doi: 10.1016/j.gim.2022.02.007. PubMed PMID:35305867 .