Adjunct Professor, Department of Human Genetics
Phone: (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Children’s Mercy Hospital
2401 Gillham Rd
Kansas City MO 64108
Dr. Elin Grundberg completed her PhD (2006) in Molecular Medicine at Uppsala University, Sweden and following post-doctoral training at the McGill University and Genome Quebec Innovation Centre she joined Wellcome Trust Sanger institute in 2009 to lead the international MuTHER Consortium, which included developing a major resource of detailed genomics and epigenomics data from multiple disease-targeted tissues from twins. In 2012, she was appointed Tenure-Track Assistant Professor at the Department of Human Genetics at McGill University where her group was applying various next-generation sequencing approaches to understand genetic and epigenetic factors underlying complex disease susceptibility. Dr. Grundberg lead two CIHR team grants on this topic including the EpiTriO Consotium with partners in Canada and Europe. She held a Canada Research Chair (tier 2) in Disease Genomics and Epigenomics.
In Oct 2017, Dr. Grundberg joined the faculty at Children’s Mercy Kansas City where she holds the Roberta D. Harding & William F. Bradley, Jr. Endowed Chair in Genomic Research. She is building a comprehensive research program leveraging international collaborations (King’s College London, UK; INSERM, France, Helmholtz Zentrum, Germany, McGill, Canada) as well as local collaborators (CM, UMKC, KUMC) for tissue-resources and methodologies essential for contemporary disease genomics and epigenomics. Research areas span genomics medicine applied in pediatric and adult populations including rare diseases, metabolic diseases, social and environmental health and perinatal/maternal health.
Dr. Grundberg currently collaborates with a number of large international research consortia and is the author of over 75 scientific papers.
- Christiansen, C, Tomlinson, M, Eliot, M, Nilsson, E, Costeira, R, Xia, Y et al.. Adipose methylome integrative-omic analyses reveal genetic and dietary metabolic health drivers and insulin resistance classifiers. Genome Med. 2022;14 (1):75. doi: 10.1186/s13073-022-01077-z. PubMed PMID:35843982 PubMed Central PMC9290282.
- Maltais-Payette, I, Vijay, J, Simon, MM, Corbeil, J, Brière, F, Grundberg, E et al.. Large-scale analysis of circulating glutamate and adipose gene expression in relation to abdominal obesity. Amino Acids. 2022; :. doi: 10.1007/s00726-022-03181-1. PubMed PMID:35809202 .
- Geanes, ES, LeMaster, C, Fraley, ER, Khanal, S, McLennan, R, Grundberg, E et al.. Cross-reactive antibodies elicited to conserved epitopes on SARS-CoV-2 spike protein after infection and vaccination. Sci Rep. 2022;12 (1):6496. doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-10230-y. PubMed PMID:35444221 PubMed Central PMC9019795.
- Cohen, ASA, Farrow, EG, Abdelmoity, AT, Alaimo, JT, Amudhavalli, SM, Anderson, JT et al.. Genomic answers for children: Dynamic analyses of >1000 pediatric rare disease genomes. Genet Med. 2022;24 (6):1336-1348. doi: 10.1016/j.gim.2022.02.007. PubMed PMID:35305867 .
- Li, X, Shao, X, Bazzano, LA, Xue, Q, Koseva, BS, Grundberg, E et al.. Blood DNA methylation at TXNIP and glycemic changes in response to weight-loss diet interventions: the POUNDS lost trial. Int J Obes (Lond). 2022;46 (6):1122-1127. doi: 10.1038/s41366-022-01084-5. PubMed PMID:35165382 PubMed Central PMC9156542.
- Hawe, JS, Wilson, R, Schmid, KT, Zhou, L, Lakshmanan, LN, Lehne, BC et al.. Genetic variation influencing DNA methylation provides insights into molecular mechanisms regulating genomic function. Nat Genet. 2022;54 (1):18-29. doi: 10.1038/s41588-021-00969-x. PubMed PMID:34980917 .
- Muto, M, Chakraborty, D, Varberg, KM, Moreno-Irusta, A, Iqbal, K, Scott, RL et al.. Intersection of regulatory pathways controlling hemostasis and hemochorial placentation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2021;118 (50):. doi: 10.1073/pnas.2111267118. PubMed PMID:34876522 PubMed Central PMC8685669.
- Fraley, E, LeMaster, C, Khanal, S, Banerjee, D, Pastinen, T, Grundberg, E et al.. Prior infection and age impacts antibody persistence after SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccine. Clin Infect Dis. 2021; :. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciab850. PubMed PMID:34551091 PubMed Central PMC8522412.
- Winkley, K, Banerjee, D, Bradley, T, Koseva, B, Cheung, WA, Selvarangan, R et al.. Immune cell residency in the nasal mucosa may partially explain respiratory disease severity across the age range. Sci Rep. 2021;11 (1):15927. doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-95532-3. PubMed PMID:34354210 PubMed Central PMC8342554.
- Fraley, E, LeMaster, C, Geanes, E, Banerjee, D, Khanal, S, Grundberg, E et al.. Humoral immune responses during SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccine administration in seropositive and seronegative individuals. BMC Med. 2021;19 (1):169. doi: 10.1186/s12916-021-02055-9. PubMed PMID:34304742 PubMed Central PMC8310732.