Adjunct Professor, Department of Human Genetics
Phone: (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Children’s Mercy Hospital
2401 Gillham Rd
Kansas City MO 64108
Dr. Elin Grundberg completed her PhD (2006) in Molecular Medicine at Uppsala University, Sweden and following post-doctoral training at the McGill University and Genome Quebec Innovation Centre she joined Wellcome Trust Sanger institute in 2009 to lead the international MuTHER Consortium, which included developing a major resource of detailed genomics and epigenomics data from multiple disease-targeted tissues from twins. In 2012, she was appointed Tenure-Track Assistant Professor at the Department of Human Genetics at McGill University where her group was applying various next-generation sequencing approaches to understand genetic and epigenetic factors underlying complex disease susceptibility. Dr. Grundberg lead two CIHR team grants on this topic including the EpiTriO Consotium with partners in Canada and Europe. She held a Canada Research Chair (tier 2) in Disease Genomics and Epigenomics.
In Oct 2017, Dr. Grundberg joined the faculty at Children’s Mercy Kansas City where she holds the Roberta D. Harding & William F. Bradley, Jr. Endowed Chair in Genomic Research. She is building a comprehensive research program leveraging international collaborations (King’s College London, UK; INSERM, France, Helmholtz Zentrum, Germany, McGill, Canada) as well as local collaborators (CM, UMKC, KUMC) for tissue-resources and methodologies essential for contemporary disease genomics and epigenomics. Research areas span genomics medicine applied in pediatric and adult populations including rare diseases, metabolic diseases, social and environmental health and perinatal/maternal health.
Dr. Grundberg currently collaborates with a number of large international research consortia and is the author of over 75 scientific papers.
- Allum, F, Grundberg, E. Capturing functional epigenomes for insight into metabolic diseases. Mol Metab. 2020;38 :100936. doi: 10.1016/j.molmet.2019.12.016. PubMed PMID:32199819 PubMed Central PMC7300388.
- Péan, N, Le Lay, A, Brial, F, Wasserscheid, J, Rouch, C, Vincent, M et al.. Dominant gut Prevotella copri in gastrectomised non-obese diabetic Goto-Kakizaki rats improves glucose homeostasis through enhanced FXR signalling. Diabetologia. 2020;63 (6):1223-1235. doi: 10.1007/s00125-020-05122-7. PubMed PMID:32173762 PubMed Central PMC7228998.
- Vijay, J, Gauthier, MF, Biswell, RL, Louiselle, DA, Johnston, JJ, Cheung, WA et al.. Single-cell analysis of human adipose tissue identifies depot and disease specific cell types. Nat Metab. 2020;2 (1):97-109. doi: 10.1038/s42255-019-0152-6. PubMed PMID:32066997 PubMed Central PMC7025882.
- Chan, D, Shao, X, Dumargne, MC, Aarabi, M, Simon, MM, Kwan, T et al.. Customized MethylC-Capture Sequencing to Evaluate Variation in the Human Sperm DNA Methylome Representative of Altered Folate Metabolism. Environ. Health Perspect. 2019;127 (8):87002. doi: 10.1289/EHP4812. PubMed PMID:31393794 PubMed Central PMC6792365.
- Zheng, J, Maerz, W, Gergei, I, Kleber, M, Drechsler, C, Wanner, C et al.. Mendelian Randomization Analysis Reveals a Causal Influence of Circulating Sclerostin Levels on Bone Mineral Density and Fractures. J. Bone Miner. Res. 2019;34 (10):1824-1836. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.3803. PubMed PMID:31170332 PubMed Central PMC6899787.
- Cheung, WA, Shao, X, Morin, A, Siroux, V, Kwan, T, Ge, B et al.. Correction to: Functional variation in allelic methylomes underscores a strong genetic contribution and reveals novel epigenetic alterations in the human epigenome. Genome Biol. 2019;20 (1):89. doi: 10.1186/s13059-019-1702-7. PubMed PMID:31064398 PubMed Central PMC6503438.
- Chechi, K, Vijay, J, Voisine, P, Mathieu, P, Bossé, Y, Tchernof, A et al.. UCP1 expression-associated gene signatures of human epicardial adipose tissue. JCI Insight. 2019;4 (8):. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.123618. PubMed PMID:30996144 PubMed Central PMC6538324.
- Morris, JA, Kemp, JP, Youlten, SE, Laurent, L, Logan, JG, Chai, RC et al.. Author Correction: An atlas of genetic influences on osteoporosis in humans and mice. Nat. Genet. 2019;51 (5):920. doi: 10.1038/s41588-019-0415-x. PubMed PMID:30988516 .
- Allum, F, Hedman, ÅK, Shao, X, Cheung, WA, Vijay, J, Guénard, F et al.. Dissecting features of epigenetic variants underlying cardiometabolic risk using full-resolution epigenome profiling in regulatory elements. Nat Commun. 2019;10 (1):1209. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-09184-z. PubMed PMID:30872577 PubMed Central PMC6418220.
- Morris, JA, Kemp, JP, Youlten, SE, Laurent, L, Logan, JG, Chai, RC et al.. An atlas of genetic influences on osteoporosis in humans and mice. Nat. Genet. 2019;51 (2):258-266. doi: 10.1038/s41588-018-0302-x. PubMed PMID:30598549 PubMed Central PMC6358485.